Business and Career Center Procedures
at Skokie Public Library
The Business and Career Center is a suite of three rooms that can accommodate up to 49 people. Wi-fi and electrical outlets are available throughout the suite. Hot and cold water is available inside the Committee Room. Businesses may bring in food or drink (non-alcoholic only), with the understanding that you must be present to meet your caterers. Library staff may not accept or sign for deliveries by caterers.
- Ideal for training sessions, annual meetings, and other meetings of 18 to 45 people
- Equipped with easy-to-use projector, microphone, and connection for your laptop
- Tables and chairs on wheels that you can easily arrange to suit your needs
- Ideal for meetings of 6 to 16 people
- Equipped with conference table, SMART board with connection for laptop, and voice conference capability
- Ideal for meeting with a client or collaborating with a colleague, up to 4 people
- Equipped with round table and chairs
Anyone who has a Skokie Public Library business library card is eligible to use the suite. For more information on how to get a business library card, call the Circulation Department at 847.673.7774.
Once you have a business library card, you may:
- Reserve the Committee Room or Conference Room using the online study room booking system, which is located at: studyrooms.skokielibrary.info. These rooms may be reserved up to 7 days in advance.
- Use the suite as a quiet place to read or work when it is not being used for a scheduled event. Check out a key at the Reference Desk.
- Apply to use the Program Room for a meeting, with advance approval of the Skokie Chamber of Commerce or the North Shore Convention and Visitors Bureau. For more information, contact Judy Papke by phone at 847.324.3127 or send an message.
The Business and Career Center is located in the southeast corner of the second floor of Skokie Public Library at 5215 Oakton Street in downtown Skokie. Free parking is available on both sides of the building.
For more information on all of the ways Skokie Public Library can help your business grow and succeed, contact Terry Ratoff, our staff liaison for business services, by phone at 847.324.3417 or send an message.
The suite is a self-service space that is available free of charge to holders of Skokie Public Library business library cards. You are responsible for setting up for and cleaning up after your events. The Library will not have staff available at the time of your meeting to help arrange tables and chairs or provide audiovisual support. You will need to bring what you need for your meeting and clean up after yourself. The advantage is that using the Business and Career Center is free!
If you plan to use any of the audiovisual equipment, training is available by appointment. To make an appointment, call the Technology Help Desk at 847.324.3179 at least one week before your meeting. You must get training before using the equipment for the first time.
Other important details:
- Access to the suite begins when the Library opens on Monday through Saturday at 9:00am and atnoon on Sunday. If you are reserving the program room, make sure to allow yourself adequate time to arrange the tables and chairs before the meeting is scheduled to begin. We cannot provide early access to the suite and recommend starting your meeting no earlier than 9:30am.
- To gain access to the suite, bring your Skokie business library card to the Reference Desk on the second floor. A librarian will check out the key to you. You are now responsible for the condition of the room until you return the key after your meeting.
- The suite door locks automatically and may not be propped open because patrons studying nearby will be disturbed by the noise. If someone in your group needs to leave and return, either send the key with them or post someone near the door to let them back in.
- Please notify the Reference Desk immediately of significant spills during your meeting or if you find a mess when you arrive.
- When everyone has left, please clean up, turn out the lights, and return the key to the Reference Desk.
- If you have reserved the Program Room, the two smaller rooms will not be available for use by others for the duration of your reservation.
We may contact you after your meeting to find out how well the suite met your needs. To ensure equal access to the suite, businesses may be limited to six meetings in a six-month period, depending on overall demand.